Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pierre cardin Part 2 (Lamps)


Part 2 of my Homage to Pierre Cardin is based on the lamps that bear his name. I have one such lamp on my site, its the coil or spring lamp made by the Laurel lamp company. The lamp is made from a thin sheet of brass coiled into a small spring shape with a milk glass shade that is attached to the brass (this lamp also comes in a chrome finish). The lamp does not have an etheched / laser cut name like the furniture but instead has a sticker with the Pierre Cardin signature on it.




The last time I was in NYC I was in a shop called "The Warehouse" , it's one of those uber swanky NYC shops that appear on the 1stdibs website and in their window they had the lamp photographed on the left. A few weeks prior to my trip to the USA I had seen one of these lamps come up for auction and I didn't bid as I felt it was too expensive for what I imagined it to be, obv being a guy I didnt read the dimensions or anything I just imagined it to be smallish. Anyway I walk into the shop and there is the same style lamp in the window and its huge, this lamp is about 2 feet wide or more and about 3 feet high or so. When I first saw it at the auction I liked it but thought it was a small lamp and overpriced so I didnt bid but when I saw it in the shop window I totally regretted that decision. This is in my humble opinion one of the nicest table lamps I have ever seen, its big, stylish, sexy and very impressive and its on my list of must haves for my own personal collection. I love this lamp.




The floor lamp photographed above was another Cardin lamp I had the opportunity to buy but this time I turned it down for a different reason. I really liked the lamp and I still do but the one I was offered was missing some of the beaded part which I felt killed the look of the lamp. It might be hard to see in this photo but the see through mesh part of this lamp is a series of vertical metal beaded strips. There are way more Pierre cardin lamps out there, google them for yourself and see what you think. I picked these three because I have a bit of history and some unfinshed business with them. I hope one day to buy the other two and settle these scores and if price and funds permit I hope I get to keep the middle one.

Again dont forget to check out my website www.mid-centuryonline.com or mail me any questions at killian@mid-centuryonline.com

No comments: