Monday, January 11, 2010

Pierre Cardin week part 1



I am going to start off the new year by actually writing something in this blog and Ive decided to start by dedicating week one too Pierre Cardin and his designs (or at least the ones that bear his name). I am aware of the fact that Monsieur Cardin was famed for being the King of the license but I am going to overlook this fact and refer to anything that bears his name or logo as being a Pierre Cardin product.

I first came across his furniture range when I purchased a chocolate brown and chrome dining table and 8 chairs (pictured) through a great dealer I buy from in Philadelphia.

I was totally drawn to this table and set about researching Pierre Cardin furniture. It seems that his furniture which was available in the USA was made under license by the Dillingham manufacturing company. I also managed to buy the matching sideboard from this set which I have described to others as the furniture version of shoulder pads. To me it epitomises the glamour of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Its serious and playfull all rolled into one.

I should point out at this point that when I buy furniture I dont buy it because I think I can sell it or because its cheap or whatever other reasons people come up with. I only buy things where I have a heart stopping emotional reaction to a piece of furniture, I can be flicking away through pages of furniture when suddenly something will stop me in my tracks and make me sit up and take notice. Pierre cardin furniture from the Dillingham range certainly caught my eye and started a serious love affair with furniture bearing the Cardin Name. I subsequently purchased a coffee table from the Dillingham range that proudly sits in our living room like a giant 4ft square immovable gorgeous lump of swanky fantasticness.

The furniture is generally constucted of particle board that is then lacquered and has chrome or brass accent pieces added. I should add that these metal accent pieces are very thin bits of metal and should only be polished by hand and never using a machine or anything that will generate heat as the accent pieces are backed with plastic. I believe the furniture of Pierre cardin is currently selling for less than it's true value and is certainly one to watch for the future. Any questions you have relating to Pierre cardin furniture or to find out what pieces we have in our current stock then please check our website www.mid-centuryonline.com or E-mail me on killian@mid-centuryonline.com

No comments: