Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chess part II

First up we have a gorgeous set by Man Ray commissioned by the Maharajah of Indore in 1926. Only three of these sets were made during Man Rays lifetime but a limited edition of ten were released later by the Man Ray trust. I think this is one of the nicest sets I've seen and an amazingly modern and relevant design considering it is 85 years old.



Next we have a beautiful set by unknown designer / maker that I was recently the under bidder on, sadly for me it was an absetee bid and not a phone bid due to time difference and I lost out to someone in the room.



Next up is a gorgeous set by Paul Wunderlich made in 1927. This one made £2280 at Sotheby's 6 years ago. I love the pawns and rooks in this set, stylish and elegant in the extreme.



Last one for today is much earlier than all the others so far but it is still a very good looking set and in my opinion deserving of its place among all the other gorgeous sets shown here. This Cambodian chess set is made with stained and white Ivory.



to be continued.....

No comments: