Sunday, September 11, 2011

I have recently purchased a few nice vintage chess sets and while researching them I came across what I believe to be some really beautiful sets that have sold at auction over the last few years. I'll start with the ones I bought. First up is this Austin Cox 1962 chess set made from Aluminium as a gift from the Alcoa aluminium company given out to their customers.


Next up is this perspex chess set which can be found online attributed to Charles Hollis Jones and sometimes referenced using the words "Vasa chess set" which might be a reference to Op art artist Victor Vasarely. I dont believe either had anything to do with it and for the moment its designer and maker remain a mystery but it is in my opinion a great looking set.



Now we are in to the sets I can currently only dream about. Next up is this 1924 Josef Hartwig chess set sold at Phillips De Pury earlier this year for £6800. A lot of money for a chess set but a seriously beautiful thing to own. I believe there are similar reproductions of this set online for a few hundred euro.



Last one for this post is a brass and chrome 1969 chess set by Francois Colette sold in Wright's auction house in Chicago in 2008 for $2900.




To be continued.....

No comments: